Arts and Crafts are fun for all ages! Messy toddlers finger paint, teenagers make friendship bracelets and adults, well, we make crafts out of whatever we can get our hands on - especially during the holidays. Halloween is an especially creative time of year where we all get a chance to tap in to our inner artist and transform ourselves and our homes into parallel universes!
With all of the long hours we put into shopping for costumes and spooky decorations, everyone has a use for their daily cup of VitaCup vitamin infused coffee. Not only are the used pods recyclable, but they can also be re-used to make terrifyingly adorable Halloween decorations. Using weatherproof lights, you can even make it an outdoor Halloween decoration!
To get you started, we compiled a list of things to make your string of Halloween lights.
- Leftover VitaCup pods - filter and lid removed and rinsed clean
- Black Sharpies (or whichever colors you'd like most!)
- White Tulle fabric
- A knife, X-Acto knife, or scissors
- Hot Glue Gun + Glue Sticks
- String Lights - white for ghosts and orange for pumpkins
- Construction paper
Once you've gathered your materials, you can go ahead and get started.
- Make sure your pods are clean and dry.
- Use a knife (or scissors) to CAREFULLY poke a hole in the middle of the pod. After trial and error, we had the most comfortable time cutting through the middle inside portion with scissors. Again, this job is for the parent!
- Draw your Jack o’Lantern or ghost faces right on the pod with the Sharpie or markers (this part is best for little ones with a knack for creativity).
- For the ghosts, cut squares of the wispy, white tulle fabric. Then, carefully apply a bit of hot glue inside the pods and gently tuck the fabric inside the pod pressing lightly into the glue. BE CAREFUL. The hot glue is hot and this task is probably best done by an adult.
- Next, push the light bulbs from the string light through each pod as desired (we skipped bulbs and did every other one).
- Hang or display your masterpiece anywhere you'd like!
OTHER VARIATIONS WE TRIED
Use your imagination! We had fun coming up with new ideas.
- Witch - color one pod black and the other green. Cut out some black construction paper and create a hat rim. Glue on some twine or string for hair in the back.
- Mummy - Take 3 pods and glue them together with a wide end of the pod at the bottom. Cut strips of white construction paper and wrap layers around the 3 pods to give it a Mummy affect. We topped ours with a bow and added some arms.
We hope this helped you feel a little more Eco-Friendly and festive this spooky season while providing a fun craft for kids and adults!
If you do decide to give this article a try, please send us a picture or let us know on our social media accounts or in the comment section!