Tis the season to drink eggnog,
Fa la la la la, yum yum yum yum.
This is one of our favorite times of year! It is also a great time of year to stay healthy with all the essential vitamins as the weather gets colder. We thought a freshly brewed cup of VitaCup coffee would go really well with this warm holiday treat. Skip the booze step to make it kid-friendly.
Prep Time: 10 Mins (allow 2-3 hours refrigeration to cool and serve)
- 2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup bourbon or rum (optional)
- Whipped cream, for serving
- Combine milk, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla in a small saucepan over low heat. Slowly bring mixture to a low boil.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until yolks are pale in color. Slowly add hot milk mixture to egg yolks in batches to temper the eggs and whisk until combined.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until slightly thick (and coats the back of a spoon) but does not boil. (If using a candy thermometer, mixture should reach 160º.)
- Remove from heat and stir in heavy cream and, if using, booze.
- Refrigerate until chilled.
- When ready to serve, garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.
Savor that flavor. These seasonal treats are special because they are so tied to a specific time of year and can spark our memories like no other. We love our memories of warmth, cheer and comfort with our families. What memories does egg nog spark for you? Let us know in the comments below!