With Thanksgiving just around the corner, it's a mad rush to find a recipe to wow the in-laws and extended family. Why not give a recipe a try that's both delicious and vegan?
Instead of a standard recipe for sweet potatoes, this recipe makes use of Tahini (a 100% sesame paste) and coffee to make a dish that is both dairy free and has significantly fewer calories than your standard holiday fare. The result tastes similar to peanut butter, it sounds odd, but we promise you it's tasty and worth the try!
Recipe:For the Sweet Potatoes
- 3 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup tahini paste
- 3 tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
For the Coffee Glaze
- 1/2 cup of VitaCup French Vanilla coffee
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- Fresh sage
- Dried Pomegranate and Blueberry
The garnish is optional, feel free to add your own flair!
- Peel and cube the Sweet Potatoes and place them in a medium to large pot covered by 1-2 inches of cold water.
- Boil for 20-25 minutes or until they are soft enough to be pierced with a knife. Drain the water and return the Sweet Potatoes to the pot.
- Add the tahini paste, syrup, salt, pepper, cinnamon and coriander to the sweet potatoes. Then blend until smooth with a hand mixer. If the mixture doesn't seem soft enough, you can add a little of a non-dairy milk, like almond milk.
- In a small saucepan bring the coffee, syrup, and balsamic vinegar to a boil. Cook until the liquid has reduced by half (8-10 minutes).
- Combine half of the glaze with the Sweet Potato mixture.
- Transfer the mixture to a serving dish. Add the rest of the glaze on top and garnish if desired.
We hope you enjoy this recipe and let us know if you give it a try this Thanksgiving!
Thanks to Floating Kitchen for the inspiration on the recipe!