If you don’t have time to go to a tropical oasis this summer, a tiki party can bring the island paradise feel to any city or town you find yourself in. Whether you celebrate in a backyard tiki hut or bring some kitschy decorations to transform an indoor space, the effect is an infectious island vibe that is both colorful and carefree.
Did you know that some of the most classic tiki cocktails are a combination of dark rums, coffee and citrus? Dark rums have a much richer finish than light rum, which coffee compliments well. The citrus elements brighten the flavor and give these classic tiki drinks a umami flavor profile that hits all of the notes of your palate at the same time, like a rainbow for your tongue.
Are you ready for a island cocktail adventure? Break out your favorite tiki mug and let’s get our grog on!
Yield: 1 Enchanted Vita Voyage Tiki Drink
- Festive tiki mug
- 1 cocktail shaker
- Topical parasols or stir sticks
- Immersion Blender
- 1 1/2 ounces VitaCup French Roast, brewed on “strong” option and chilled
- 3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed orange juice
- 3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 ounces Meyers dark Jamaican rum
- 1 1/2 ounces Goslings dark rum
- 1/2 ounce rich honey mix
- 2 Egg whites
- 2 dashes angostura bitters
- Nutmeg (for garnish)
- Brew a cup of VitaCup on your “strong” or 4 oz setting. Place in the refrigerator to chill.
- Squeeze limes, oranges, and grapefruits
- Mix 1 part honey (approx ½ oz) to 1 part water (approx ½ oz). Place in the microwave for 15 seconds and stir. Repeat as needed until it becomes a consistent mixed liquid.
- Once honey mixture is ready, fill tall tiki mug ¾ of the way with crushed ice.
- Combine chilled VitaCup French Roast coffee, Meyers Dark Jamaican Rum, Goslings Dark Rum, Rich Honey Mix, grapefruit juice, orange juice, and lime juice in your cocktail shaker. Shake to mix well.
- Pour shaken mix over crushed ice.
- Put 2 dashes of bitters on the top.
- Whip up 2 egg whites with a handheld immersion blender until you have a thick foam. Garnish the top of the cocktail with the egg whites.
- Sprinkle the egg white topping with nutmeg.
- Decorate with parasols, stir sticks and straw.
Beach Bum Variations:
- Don’t want to prep so much? Pick up your juices pre-squeezed but try to get the 100% juice versions.
- Are you looking for a lost shaker of salt AND a lost shaker for your cocktails? Just pour your ingredients over the crushed ice in your tiki mug and stir well by hand.
- Not ready to whip up egg whites? You can top with whipped cream or just garnish with an orange wheel instead.
We had so much fun throwing our own start of summer tiki party and sharing this recipe with you. The fun in the sun won’t last long, so get out there and shine!
Do you have a favorite summer time cocktail that includes coffee? If so, let us know below.