Bet You Didn’t Know: 31 Coffee Facts for National Coffee Month!
August is coffee month which means here at VitaCup we’re especially excited about our favorite drink having an entire month. Check out some interesting coffee facts to celebrate with us the long and storied history of our the most popular caffeinated beverage. We have a fact for every day of National Coffee Month! PLUS - we have a recipe for a carmel macchiato at the end - don't miss it!
Fun Coffee Facts for National Coffee Month
- Coffee loses caffeine as it is roasted, so a dark, “bold” cup of coffee actually has less caffeine than a lighter roast. That’s why VitaCup has partnered with a 4th generation roastmaster to develop all of our blends. Read more about Jeff here,
- Legend has it that a 9th-century Ethiopian goat herder discovered coffee by accident when he noticed how crazy the beans were making his goats.
- Johann Sebastian Bach wrote an opera about a woman who was addicted to coffee.
- Coffee is the second most traded commodity on earth.
- Coffee is most effective when consumed between 9:30 am and 11:30 am.
- The first webcam was created in Cambridge to check the status of a coffeepot.
- 50% of the caffeine you've consumed may be cleared from your body within 5 hours, but it will take over a day to fully eliminate it from your system.
- In the 17th century Ottoman Empire, drinking coffee was punishable by death.
- Coffee has been declared to be illegal several times in history.
- Europeans originally called coffee “Arabian wine”.
- The first company to import coffee on large scale was the Dutch East India Company.
- When the first coffeehouse opened in England in 1652, women were prohibited from entering, other than to serve men.
- The Turks call their coffee houses “schools for the wise.”
- 25 million small producers rely on coffee for a living worldwide.
- In Turkey, the bridegroom as once required to make a vow during the wedding to always make sure to provide their wives with coffee. If they did not do so it was considered grounds for divorce.
- Contrary to popular belief, espresso has one-third the caffeine of a cup of coffee, simply due to serving size differences.
- The smell of coffee is the second most recognizable odor in The United States, first comes the smell of burning wood.
- Coffee was originally considered a food and not a drink.
- Beer tried to take coffee’s spot at the breakfast table.
- Decaffeinated coffee comes from a chemical process where the caffeine is taken out of the beans. The caffeine is then often sold to Coca-Cola.
- Coffee doesn’t taste like it smells because saliva wipes out half of the flavor.
- Coffee grounds are environmentally friendly slug repellent.
- The two oldest recorded cats drank coffee every day.*
- Brazil had such a coffee surplus that they tried to find other uses for it, including using it to make plastic.
- Coffee was so scarce in Germany during WWII that ‘coffee bombs’ were dropped from planes to turn the people against the government.
- Energy drinks still don’t have as much caffeine as coffee.
- The coffee industry employs 25 million people around the world.
- An estimated 4 out of 5 people living in the United States start their day with a coffee.
Now that you have your fun coffee facts to last all coffee month long, get your fun coffee to last you all coffee month long! And, if you get a 32ct VitaCup subscription you can have a VitaCup coffee to start your day with our vitamin infused coffee every day of the month, too! Our subscriptions are already 10% off with FREE SHIPPING but use code VITA15 for 15% more for a total of 25% off your first subscription!
VIDEO - Recipe: How to Make a Caramel Macchiato!
Try it today! Order Now!
*We don't recommend feeding any caffeine to your pets! Results may be unpredictable!